20 October 2006

Finding Huston Smith?

What a strange fellowship this is, the God-seekers in every land, lifting their voices in the most disparate ways imaginable to the god of all life. How does it sound from above? Like bedlam, or do the strains blend in strange, ethereal harmony?


Huston Smith

The World’s Religions


I gave up trying to find someone who might introduce me to Huston Smith and did what I should have been done to begin with: I looked him up on the internet. His last teaching job had been at the University of California at Berkeley. And there, still in the Berkeley phone book, were his address and home phone number. And I even found his age - eighty-seven.


There was nothing to do but write him a letter, telling him I was at work on a project inspired by his book, The World's Religions. I explained what I'm doing, then wrote:
It's the heart and soul of the project I would like to come talk to you about, if you think you might be willing to meet with me. If there is any way I could stop by, I would be so very, very grateful.


No matter what, thank you for all of your open-hearted work. It has made

an enormous difference in my life.

Yours,
Marley KD

I gave him my phone numbers and address, then dropped the letter in the mail. There was nothing left to do but wait.

20 October 2006

2 comments:

  1. I am a great fan of Smith's. I am anxious to hear if he responds and what he has to say. I am waiting for a "Seat at the Table" to be released as an e-book.

    Did you read "The World's Religion's"? I also recommend the "Soul of Christianity" for anyone who wants to understand what this faith is all about but have been mislead by all the fundamentalist claptrap out there.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian...this entire "thing" of mine -- at least the structure of it -- is based on Huston Smith's book, The World's Religions. (see the very first entry "Okay, here goes" http://marleytheheathen.blogspot.com/2008/10/okay-here-goes.html) The only way to do something like this is to have some kind of limit and my "limits" are Professor Smith's chapter headings.

    As for the Soul Of Religion... I look forward to reading it. And I sincerely look forward to coming into a deeper, first-hand understanding of fundamentalist Christianity. I think there's plenty of misunderstanding on every side and I have sure been part of it. I'm trying to sort out the difference between the core beliefs and practices of each faith as opposed to what individual people sometimes DO using those beliefs and practices.

    ReplyDelete

I'm interested in any and all comments although it may take me a while to post them.